top of page

Nicholas Drone Service August Blog!

So, for this post I'd like to talk about the FAA and their enforcement of drone laws. I follow a lawyer out of Florida that specializes in drones and has an extensive list of accomplishments that have helped shape the drone community. And we'll all be indirectly associated with this community in the very near future. Drones have become such a fascinating tool that it's very tempting to just purchase one and start flying. But there's definitely more to it as you may have been reading each month in my posts. So many laws and regulations for each type of flyer.

First off, lets start by giving credit where it's due: Jonathan Rupprecht is a CFI and CFII Flight Instructor, Commercial Pilot, and Remote Pilot (Drone Pilot) and a licensed attorney in the state of Florida. Below here, you may find the link to his webpage.

Drone pilots are categorized as either of two types of flyers: commercial Part 107 licensed and recreational. (There are also government related pilots.) Recreational flyers are the most common. You may purchase a drone, register it if it's more than 0.55lbs, and take the Recreational UAS Safety Test before you start flying. You would then be categorized as a recreational flyer, one that flies just for the fun of flying! "Are you flying for business, a commercial enterprise, or non-profit work?" - from FAA website. Then you would need a Part 107 license.

When considering flying a drone, know that you are going to be flying in the National Airspace System which is regulated by a federal agency, the Federal Aviation Administration, and will be enforced by federal law. There are some serious consequences that are associated with the abuse of drone flights, as you may read in the link below.

But do not be intimidated! The FAA also wants to help the public to fly safely. They offer a free, online safety test that you must pass before you take to the skies. It is called TRUST and you may find that info here. I've also provided some information about the Do's and Don'ts of drones in a previous newsletter just a few months ago.

Then, if you're interested in becoming a commercial pilot, one who flies for the advancement of a business or non-profit, start studying to become Part 107 certified. The FAA offers lots of materials for free and the internet itself can produce plenty of free resources. Once you're ready to take the test, they're administered at certified testing sites across the United States. I passed mine at the Danville Regional Airport in Danville, VA.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page